What's so great about this book? Here are a few of my faves:
- Cover. (See above, and note how well it goes with my favorite colors.)
- Content. In the authors' words, "This book reflects our own view of what is important in social network research. Instead of providing just a review of existing research, we have opened up dialogue on a range of new approaches." Then they continue: "We think that debate and controversy are good for social science in that they encourage a more rapid development of theory and research."
- Readability. As the authors soar over the highlights of social network theory, they trace a clear historical arc with a wry tone that adds up to an academic page-turner. Along the way, they indulge my weakness for polite but merciless deflation of all puffed-up hot-air-bags in sight. I couldn't put it down!
- Understanding social network research
- Is there social network theory?
- Bridging the gap between structuralist and individualist approaches
- Goal-directed and serendipitous network processes
- Towards a poststructuralist network approach
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License and is copyrighted (c) 2007 by Connective Associates except where otherwise noted.