Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Network Entrepreneur Personality Index

Several of my friends over the years have been personality profile junkies, and so I've developed a taste for answering small lists of seemingly random questions, from which they deduce my deepest character traits. One of my favorite personality profiles ever is Belief-O-Matic, a computer program that I confess played an alarmingly significant role in my actually joining the religious institution that I've been attending for a few years.

Today I found an new little personality quiz when I least expected it. I've been reading a couple chapters from a preprint of Ron Burt's forthcoming book, Brokerage and Closure, to be published by Oxford University Press in 2005. The first chapter is largely based on Burt's work at Raytheon, which I discussed a while ago.

Right there in the first chapter of the book (but not in the earlier paper) is a mini personality profile, which I have clipped and included in this post.

Are you curious if you are cut out to be an information broker in the new millenium? Then read on. Quoting from Burt:

"Select the phrase under each item that better describes you (A or B). Select one phrase per item. If you disagree with both phrases, select the one with which you disagree less. It is important to select phrases that describe how you actually operate, rather than how you feel you should or would like to operate. There are no right or wrong answers. When you are finished, you should have a total of ten phrases circled. To score your reponses, [read the comment that I have added to this post] and compare your score to the graph below [which will translate your raw score to your "Propensity to Brokerage" on a scale from 0.0 to 1.0].

[PS -- Have fun! And, as Burt explains in his book and I will explain later, your personal propensity to brokerage is far from the deciding factor in determining your success as a networker.]



Network Entrepreneur Personality Index Q1-6 Posted by Hello


Network Entrepreneur Personality Index Q7-10 Posted by Hello


1 comment:

Bruce Hoppe said...

To score responses, sum across the ten items adding one for each of the following options selected: 1A, 2B, 3A, 4A, 5B, 6B, 7A, 8B, 9B, and 10A