I am on a mini-hiatus, defined most notably by ignoring my email.
Reading Tao Te Ching provides lots of moral support for doing nothing. The world will survive a few days of my not fixing its problems.
Not everyone likes this philosophy. Here in Massachusetts, a new law that mandates health insurance for all residents has been widely publicized on TV with the catch-phrase: "Ignoring a problem never made one go away."
Those seeking a counter-argument to this credo should read Lewis Thomas (Dean of Yale Medical School, etc., etc.) who in Lives of a Cell wrote an essay "Your Very Good Health," which he summed up near the end by saying, "The great secret... is that most things [i.e., health problems] get better by themselves."
Digging up Thomas' classic collection of essays has given me lots of other food for thought that I can share later, when I am back to doing something.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 License and is copyrighted (c) 2007 by Connective Associates except where otherwise noted.
Good for you Bruce on "Doing Nothing" but not exactly "NOTHING" given the interesting reading you have shared. Thanks for the pointers.
ReplyDelete